Saturday, October 8, 2011

Autumn Camping on the North Shore

We took a one-night trip to Split Rock Lighthouse State Park this week.  The campground in this park consists of cart-in sites only.  You pick your site and get a cart with your site number on it to schlepp your gear back and forth.  The sites are complete with metal food lockers to keep the animals out of it.  They are all beautiful!

The beach at our campsite:



Our campsite:












 Then we went hiking.












 See the lighthouse out there, next to Holly?



 This is a fireplace that was built on top of a hill overlooking Lake Superior.  Nobody really knows why it was built, but there are some theories.  It's so beautiful and isolated looking!  















 Self-family-portrait with the camera on the rock.  That's why it's crooked.  I could straighten it, but I kind of like that it's crooked...



Another timer picture, this time with the camera on the fireplace!



 The view from up there was stunning.






 And the asters were still blooming.

Can you believe that I have more pictures for you?  
I do!  Hope you enjoy them!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Great pics, Erin! The family photos turned out really nice.

I wish we could get up there yet this year. We've hiked at Split Rock, and checked out the campsites once - and, I recognize the great site you got! What a gorgeous spot!

Erin said...

Thanks! We've wanted to go camping there for a while now and we just decided to GO when Brad had two days off. It was kind of whirlwind, but boy, it was worth it.

It was so beautiful--the sunlight was just breathtaking.

Ruralmama said...

What a lovely site and a beautiful visit! I love the "beach"--I remember trying to swim in that once, in June or July---it was still freezing!

I wish we could have gone--that looks amazing!