Thursday, September 16, 2010

First day of school! First day of school!

We started on Wednesday morning...






P.S.  Name the movie the title is from and you'll be a winner.  You won't exactly win anything, but hey, you'll KNOW you're a winner.
P.P.S.  Don't mind the big gaping hole in the wall behind the whiteboard.  It's not really there.  Okay, it is.  It's embarrassing, but true.  We have a giant hole in the wall so we could fix the plumbing in the shower.  IT WAS MADE IN THE SPRING.  Ugh.
P.P.P.S.  See my lovely paper organizers in the shelves, Mom?  See 'em?  Huh?  Aren't they the coolest?!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay, for the first day of school!

I'm giggling because my boys' pants are too short - and Henry and Holly's pants look nice and long :) You're ahead of me with the fall shopping!

Is the title from Finding Nemo?

Erin said...

Ha! No, I'm not ahead, it's just that Holly's got stuff that I thought she'd grow into last year and she hasn't yet. So actually, she's behind (which isn't a surprise). But she's outgrowing everything else! And as for Henry, I just tend to buy everything BIG. In other words, I'm still behind--don't feel bad! :)

Yep, Finding Nemo it is. You are a WINNER. ;)

Rob(OrbS) said...

I didn't notice the hole so much as I did notice the chocolate on the shelf MmmMMmMMmMMm!!

Rob(OrbS) said...

and its HERSHEYS !!!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

John said...

There's this fantastic blog I read which had a provocative article on testing that I thought you might be interested in. No criticism of your curriculum implied, of course.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/what-are-we-measuring-in-school/

Erin said...

John, that was a good article. I agreed with a lot in it!

Luckily, since we homeschool, I know whether my "students" have grit, determination, etc., etc. because I observe them every day. We work on those traits. We also work on knowledge. Above all, we work on teaching them how to learn (and, hopefully, to love learning). It's too bad that public schooling cannot just use observation to see how the kids do; instead it must be a standardized test. There are simply too many kids to be able to have that one-on-one knowledge of how they really are doing.

As an aside, because they're homeschooled, the kids (ages 7-15) must take standardized tests yearly in our state. Rest assured, Henry did extremely well on his first one (the CAT). I'm hoping that means we are, for the time being at least, keeping the balancing act in...um...balance. ;) I hope.

Thanks for the great article.