Thursday, September 2, 2010

Odds and Ends

I don't really have a whole blog post for any one topic right now.  So I thought I'd do a bits-and-pieces sort of approach to this post. 

  • If you haven't heard much from me lately, it's because life's been a little stressful lately.  Having a child with an autoimmune disease and getting used to that fact (while also having to be vigilant about everything) is stressful enough, and then add on everyday life stuff and sometimes you just feel like you need to be alone for a while.  At least that's how I process things.  You know how life gets sometimes.  Everyone has those times.
  •  We're getting ready for our family vacation next week.  We're really excited.  Where are we going?  Hopefully (weather permitting) we'll be camped out here for five nights (check out the pictures of the park!), and visit all around the area.  Canada (eh?) is possibly on the list of things to do, since we'll be so close.  The North Shore is one incredible area, let me tell ya!  I can't wait to be by the lake again.  It's one of those soul-gripping places for me, where I feel at peace and in awe at the same time.  To be really cheesy--it calls to me.  It really does.  I love it.
  • When are we starting school?  Everyone always wants to know.  Well, not everyone, but I know a lot of curious people, since we're the "unusual" family who homeschools.  (Yeah, that's where the title of our blog comes from.  It's become more and more true as the years have gone on!  They homeschool their kids?  She spins her own yarn?  They don't eat gluten?  Yup.  That's us.)  I'm thinking we'll start after our vacation, but I'm not totally sure yet.  I have to look at the calendar a bit.  We'd really love to get more camping and daytrips in during Sept. and even early Oct., weather permitting (as usual).  Fall is an amazing, amazing time here in Minnesota.  It's beautiful and the weather is awesome.  So we'll see about school.  We do have all winter, after all (although we like to get out then, too...).
  • I think I'm going to try to make one or two different recipes I've found for cinnamon rolls this weekend.  Those would be great to take camping.  Yum!
  • The kids are still growing like weeds.  Holly had to get new undies because she outgrew the ones she'd been wearing for...what--two years I think?...and I just bought them last month.  They're already tight!  Yay/Sob!  I've heard of kids growing 6" in a year after finding out they had celiac and then going gluten free and healing up.  Yay because we're so relived she's getting healthy, sob because clothes aren't cheap.  But I'll take the clothes bill any day over what was happening in the past.  Any day.
  • Oooh!  Ooooh!  We got to meet our friends' new (okay, four weeks old--how does that happen so fast?) baby boy last night.  Aedan is his name and he is perfect and sweet.  Brett and Lea are amazing parents already and we're so happy for all three (or should I say five--can't leave out the doggies) of them.  I hope we get to see lots of him (and his parents of course).  Holly LOVED holding baby Aedan.  She held him three times.  Right before we were going to go, she almost started crying because she wanted to hold him again so badly.  Awwww...
  • I think that's all I have time for today.  I just looked at the time and it's already 1 o'clock.  I have a two-week meal plan and corresponding shopping list to create (along with a "camping meal plan"--extra bonus fun for this week [ick]), a school room to de-junk and de-clutter, and a camping trip to start packing for.  I've got until Sunday night to get the last two done (but I'm hoping against hope that maybe this will be the time procrastination decides not to rear its ugly head...stop laughing.  I'm feeling good about it.  It's cloudy and cool and I'm always more productive on those days for some reason.), but I have to get the shopping list etc. done today so I can actually do the shopping (read: have something to eat in this house) tomorrow.
  • Oh, This Just In... the kids plugged up the toilet.  Just thought I'd share.  I guess it really IS time for me to wrap this up!
What's going on with you?  What's new in your neck of the woods?  Anything special?  

No comments: