You may begin.
* * *
We're doing our first standardized test with Henry this week. It's the CAT (California Achievement Test) and it's long. We'll be testing over three days.
Today we did some language testing and one of the first math portions. We still have six segments left, including more language, science, social studies and more math as well. Our testing time today was a little long; we did four segments and both of us were over it by the middle of the last segment. I think three each day will be perfect.
It will be interesting to see how he does on this test. I think for the next year we will try out the Peabody test which is an oral test. It's quicker and the results are given immediately. Honestly, I thought the CAT would be easier because I get to administer it and we do it at home when we're ready. I also thought it would be cheaper. Turns out with shipping back and forth and copying the answer sheets so we have his test in case it gets lost in the mail, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to do the Peabody with an examiner!
Henry's allergies are really bad right now and because of that I am a little concerned there might be a negative effect on his test scores. But really, this is his first experience with a standardized test format, so I'm not sure how accurate it will really be anyway. I cringe thinking of having to give the kids these tests every year--we only had to do it every few years in public school--which is another reason for trying out the Peabody. Currently my plan is to do the Peabody (if I like it) two or three years in a row and then intersperse some CAT tests in there. That way, the kids will have experience with the test format, which will be useful for them later on, we have some reference points (we can compare like tests) and we don't all get burnt out on filling in the bubble and reading the directions exactly as the book says and all that jazz. It seems like a good plan for now, but as usual, who knows what will actually happen? That's what's great about homeschooling--when I find something that fits the kids' and my needs better, we can make a change.
* * *
This is the end of this part of our work. Make sure your marks are heavy and dark and that you have completely erased any marks you do not want.Close your book.
No comments:
Post a Comment