Monday, February 14, 2011

A Request

I'm going to be very honest in this post.  I'm asking for money.  Donations, specifically.  I've never, ever been good at this kind of thing--fundraisers?  Ugh.  Not my thing--I don't like asking for money.  But this...well, this is very close to my heart.  How close?  I'm doing this for Holly, and the millions of other people around the world like her with celiac disease.

We're having a little get-together on Saturday, the 19th of February, and we'd like you to come.  A wonderful company called Pamela's Products has donated cake and frosting mixes, sprinkles, and some little gifts for our guests.  We'll be making cupcakes and decorating them here at our house.  This is all to get donations, of course.  Donations for celiac disease research and education.  The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) is sponsoring this (along with Pamela's), and they (NFCA) will be getting the donations.  The suggested donation is $15 per guest, but we would be happy to take whatever you can give.  Maybe you can't come over on Saturday, but we would really still appreciate your donation toward this cause. 

 Holly and the boxful of goodies that arrived on Friday!

I know it seems to most people that celiac disease is not that big of a deal.  I promise you, it is.  We need to educate others in having a safe environment for those with celiac disease--and research is beginning to uncover possibilities in preventing celiac disease and even, hopefully, ultimately, a cure.

I wish several times a week that I could be the one with the celiac diagnosis instead of my daughter.  I wish I could take it away from her, let her live a "normal" life.  I wish I didn't have to hear my baby say that she has "celiac disease that I can't get away from."  Unfortunately, I can't do any of those things.  But I can do this.  I can work toward educating others about celiac, and I can do my best to raise money for research.  She is healthy now (and we will work every day to keep her that way) in part because of the information we got from the NFCA after she was diagnosed.  Please consider donating to NFCA through our party.  Thank you.

Here's the link to the "Event" on Facebook, for details:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=183807428306301
---

P.S.  If you are interested in donating but cannot do so at this time, we will also be collecting donations for the 10th Annual Walk/Run for Celiac Disease Research and Awareness, which is on May 21st.  The money from this event goes to the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research.  There is also a 5K run, costing $25, which benefits celiac research and awareness.  Here is the website if you're interested:  http://www.twincitiesrock.org/walk-summary.html  We will be there, doing the walk as a family and are asking others to join us!

No comments: