Friday, November 5, 2010

Rant

Normally I try to be positive on this blog or at least try to see a possible positive outcome.  But right now I need to get something out.

Something is seriously wrong with this country.  This country just spent hundreds of millions of dollars on election campaigns.  What did anyone get from that?  TV ads and junkmail for the landfill (you know all of that crap won't be recycled).  At the same time, unemployment is extremely high, people go without food or shelter, and many can't afford to get health care they desperately need.  The same people who contributed large sums of money to campaigns are the ones who complain they are taxed to death and make it seem as though they have to pinch every penny just to get by.  We are the ones who create jobs, so don't make us pay such high taxes, they cry!  Yet they still have enough to contribute very large sums to campaigns that aren't even being run in their own state or district.  If they have that kind of money to throw around, I think maybe they aren't telling the whole truth, don't you?

On top of all this, schools are failing, and they're using pretty desperate measures to make ends meet.  I just received our local community newspaper, The Courier yesterday.  The main headline this month?  "Advertising in place at area schools."  When I read that, I think my mouth fell open.  What?!  The article says that "Ads were placed on student lockers, floors and walls in St. Francis High School and Cedar Creek Community School...the remaining three schools had ads placed by installation teams in the evenings the following week."   Advertising does NOT belong in public schools, and to my knowledge there are multiple studies that show how vulnerable children are to advertising.  Wasn't there some movement against advertising to children not too long ago?  I guess it's time to start researching and send in a letter to the school board.  Too bad they entered into a one-year contract.

I will end there.  Thanks for putting up with my ranting--I really needed to get all that out.  

No comments: